- VISA North Park Residency, 2018
- McCombe/Kreye residency, through VISA, Jan-May, 2016
- VISA: (Vancouver Island School of Art) 2008-18: Painting, drawing
- MISSA (Metchosin Summer School of the Arts) Residency, 2008
- Bachelor of Fine Arts in Visual Arts (Honours), UVic, 1983
- Alberta College of Art, Calgary, (ACAD) 1976-78
-Xchanges Gallery, Victoria, April 2020
- Fairfield Community Centre, April 2019
- Saanich Municipal Hall, March 2019
- Slide Room gallery, VISA, Group Show, Nov/Dec, 2018
- ‘All Along the Breakwater’, Errant ArtSpace, Victoria, Nov 2017
- ‘On Site’, exhibition of the first Kreye/McCombe Residency Artists,
Slide Room Gallery, Vancouver Island School of Art, Victoria, 2017
- ‘Walkabout’, Langham Court Theatre, Victoria, 2016
- ‘Just Deserts’, Gallery 1580, Victoria, 2015
- ‘Shorelines’, Gallery 1580, Victoria, 2014
- Group Shows, Gallery 1580, Victoria, 2013-2015
- Fernwood Art Stroll, (studio tour), Victoria, 2009-2017
- Victoria Arts Council (Public libraries, Victoria airport, the Cedar Hill Arts Centre)
These paintings were done in the studio from my own photos. I document my walks with my iphone camera.
Place is important to me. It is where I have been and who I am.
My body is the frontier between what I see and what I experience. Just as my mind filters and interprets my experience, so the camera filters and interprets what I see. The photos are an intervention. When I paint from the photo, I reinvent and reinterpret what I have experienced, what I was feeling, what I have seen.
As I work and re-work the image it is re-embodied, and the meaning of the experience is both exposed and buried in the layers of paint.
I often juxtapose the built environment against the natural, wild environment. Tension is heightened with the composition contained and restrained within the edges and shape of the canvas.
This dichotomy is also played out with the struggle between the image and the painting of it.
Painting is a slow, singular and physical medium.
The painting becomes a fossil of the experience, a relic.