The 48 Film Festival (aka. The 48) is a brand new Canada-wide short filmmaking challenge and festival spearheaded by Ben Williams and Guy Maddin. For one weekend, participants will write, shoot, direct, score, edit and finish a short film in 48 hours.
For filmmakers on Vancouver Island and the Gulf Islands, CineVic is resurrecting the Film Slam name from our time-crunch filmmaking challenges in the early 2000s.
Filmmakers who register and complete their film by the deadline will be screened locally in each participating province and territory, then the top 2 films selected from each province and territory will appear together on the big screen at the TIFF Bell Lightbox in Toronto in March 2022.
• Limited spots available!
• Individuals or teams may register to make a film.
• Finished film can be up to 4 minutes maximum running time including credits.
• Filmmakers who submit a finished film by the deadline will be included in the online screening and will receive an artist screening fee.
• Equipment and insurance are not provided but our rentals are first-come first-served. Be sure to book your gear after registering!
• At the start time, filmmakers will receive an email containing a theme and the “key” which includes items, elements, and techniques that must appear in your film (this ensures everyone starts at the same time).
• Please note: CineVic’s edition of this event is intended for participants from Vancouver Island or the Gulf Islands. For information on how to participate in other editions in your region, visit http://www.the48filmfest.ca
Key is revealed + filming begins:
Friday June 11th 2021 @ 6:00pm
Film submission deadline:
Sunday June 13th 2021 @ 6:00pm
Friday June 18th 2021 (details TBA)