CALLING ALL EMERGING ARTISTS FOR THE 2019 BC CULTURE DAYS AMBASSADOR PROGRAM!
Deadline: April 22, 2019
BC emerging artists are invited to apply to the 2019 BC Culture Days Ambassador Program. Ten successful applicants will receive an honorarium and production budget totalling $1,000 to present a community-based activity during the Culture Days weekend. They will also be matched for a 3-month mentorship with an established senior artist supported by C*SARN (formerly known as the Canadian Senior Artists’ Resource Network.)
BC Culture Days Ambassadors act as spokespeople and community catalysts for BC Culture Days. The Ambassador Program runs throughout the months of July-September, leading up to and including the national Culture Days weekend (September 27-29, 2019).
We invite you to apply if you:
• Are between the ages of 18 and 35;
• Reside in BC;
• Are in the early stages of your career in your art form;
• Are a creator of new work(s) or a practitioner of an art form;
• Have demonstrated experience in actively engaging your community through the arts;
• Devote a minimum of 24 hours per week to your art;
• Make a financial commitment to your practice and seek your primary income from your artistic work;
• Self identify as an emerging artist;
• Are present and available to act as a spokesperson in your community during the months of July-September 2019;
• Register an activity at CultureDays.ca to present during the 2019 Culture Days weekend (September 27-29, 2019);
Networking and mobilizing — Reaching out to community members such as individual artists, arts organizations, cultural organizations, heritage organizations, and businesses encouraging them to offer activities during the Culture Days weekend.
Organizing — Registering, coordinating, and presenting a free activity for the public over the Culture Days weekend.
Representing — Acting as a spokesperson and media contact for BC Culture Days. In collaboration with local community organizers and BC Culture Days staff, the ambassador may be asked to participate in TV, radio, and newspaper interviews on behalf of BC Culture Days.
Mentorship — Participating in a 3-month mentorship with a senior artist matched by C*SARN.
Completing a mid-term survey;
Completing a final evaluation report of the ambassador and mentorship program by October 31, 2019; and
Submitting an impact survey one year after completion of the ambassador program and mentorship, evaluating their personal and professional impact.
How to apply:
Please complete the online application form.
Please note that successful applicants must provide:
A short biography, and
Consent to the use of their name, biographical information, and image by BC Culture Days and C*SARN.
Submissions will be juried by members of the BC Culture Days Steering Committee and finalists will be called for an interview. Successful applicants will be awarded $1,000 (includes $500 ambassador honorarium + $500 activity budget) and a 3-month mentorship with an established senior artist (7 hours/month).
If you know of an emerging artist that might be interested in applying, please feel free to pass on this information or have them contact Nazanin Shoja, BC Culture Days Manager at nazanin.sh[email protected] or 604-681-3535 ext. 214.