For the past five years, in a variety of locations around Oak Bay, the ArtsAlive Public Art Committee installed outdoor sculptural artworks — from stylized realistic pieces to the purely abstract, in various media including several moving wind works. They were all greatly appreciated for their artistic merit and challenged us to pause and reflect about living in this special seaside community, proud of its distinct heritage even as it contemplates its future as a vibrant place to live and work.
Invitation To Artists/Sculptors
• Artists are invited to submit proposals for our 2019 public sculpture program.
• Work will be displayed for approximately 1 year.
• Proposals will be reviewed by a jury of art professionals and citizen enthusiasts.
• Up to 13 pieces to be selected and installed in secure, highly visible outdoor locations.
• The public will be invited to vote on a People's Choice Award. This piece will be considered for purchase by the Municipality up to a fair market value of $18,000.
• Sculptures valued over $18,000 will be considered for exhibition and sale only. A commission of 10% of the sale of any sculpture will go to ArtsAlive to be used for the development of the program.
• Through this annual program, Oak Bay intends to develop a public art collection for permanent display.
This is an excellent opportunity for artists to showcase their work, imagination and talent. Thousands of local residents and visitors will be exposed to the work in this high profile program. The municipality, local media, Tourism Victoria and Tourism Oak Bay will promote this show throughout the year. Related art events like art walks, paint-ins, and celebrations will be organized, guaranteeing more excitement and community participation.