Now accepting submissions for 2018!

Ignite the production of your short film! CINE⚡️SPARK is back again, and offering a production package worth more than $10,000!

2018's CINE⚡️SPARK production program will be giving out more than $10,000 in cash and in-kind equipment rentals and services to the production of an outstanding short film script by a writer/filmmaker from Vancouver Island or the Gulf Islands in British Columbia, Canada. The Top 5 will pitch their projects at Short Circuit: Pacific Rim Film Festival in May 2018, and one winner will receive the production package!

- - -

Prize package includes:

• $1,000 cash grant
• $9,000 in-kind equipment rentals from CineVic
• $100 Modo driving credits toward production van rental
• Production Insurance - 10 consecutive days of coverage ($150 value)
• One-year complimentary CineVic Production Membership ($220 value)

- - -

CineVic has been supporting the production of independent film, video, and media art on Vancouver Island for over 25 years. CINESPARK represents a new evolution of our previous film incubator programs The Auteur Series and Artist in Residence.

Rules and Guidelines:

CINE⚡️SPARK rules:

• The CINESPARK production program is open to anyone residing on Vancouver Island or the Gulf Islands.

• Entrants must submit a complete short film script in standard screenplay format with the writer’s name and contact info removed.

• At the submission stage, a fully assembled team of writer, director, and producer is allowed but not required.

• Scripts can be 10 pages maximum, not including title page. Scripts must be an original work and must be live-action narrative in any genre. (Documentary, animation, or experimental films are not eligible.)

• Submissions are judged based on both creativity and feasibility of production.

• The Top 5 finalists will be announced on or before March 31, 2018. These 5 Writers will then form their teams with a Director and Producer in preparation for the pitch event. The Writer may fill 2, but not 3, of these key positions. The Top 5 will be required to submit a headshot photo and bio of each team member for promotional purposes.

• Teams will pitch their projects at Short Circuit, May 4+5 2018 (exact date and time TBD). Any one or a combination of all three team members (Writer, Director, Producer) may participate in the pitch presentation. Teams will be allowed 10 minutes maximum for their presentation (including any video component) followed by a brief Q&A period.

• The winning team will receive: a $1,000 cash grant; up to $9,000 of in-kind CineVic equipment rentals toward production of the submitted film; $100 Modo driving credits toward production van rental (pending approval of driving records - up to 2 drivers allowed); production insurance coverage of 10 consecutive days (pending approval of insurance application, see for coverage details); and a one-
year complimentary CineVic Production Membership. Total package is valued at over $10,000 (no cash value).

• The winning team will be required to capture behind-the- scenes photos/video of their film production, including photos which depict use of the Modo van.

• The winning team will enter into a Production Agreement with CineVic Society of Independent Filmmakers and will be required to provide the completed film by April 1, 2019. The cash grant will be released via cheque in two instalments: 75% will be released upon signing of the agreement, and the remaining 25% will be released upon receipt of the finished film and promotional materials. If the film is
not completed or provided by the deadline, all monies received by the winning team must be repaid to CineVic.

• CineVic will maintain first rights to a Victoria premiere screening of the finished film.

• Any key members (Writer, Director, Producer) of a winning team may not submit to, nor participate in, future instances of this competition.

• CineVic reserves the right to cancel this program and refund entry fees.

Early Deadline:
December 15, 2017

Regular Deadline:
January 15, 2018

Final Deadline:
February 15, 2018

5 Finalists Announced:

March 31, 2018

Pitch Event @ Short Circuit:
May 4-5, 2018 (exact date TBD)
Bookmark and Share
Future Events